Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Some help with route planning

Remi_NL

Anbefalte innlegg

Hello all,

I'm planning a little walk around northern Europe next year and I could use a bit of help with planning the route through Norway.

If everything goes to plan I will be arriving in Bergen by the end of May or start of June. This is a bit early to be heading into the fjell so I have been planning a route along the coast towards Trondheim.

However, I have looked at several "Norge på langs" reports (from http://norgepaalangs.info) and it seems that many mountain area's are passable in June.

I'm afraid that walking along the coast will involve lots of road walking, something which I would like to avoid if possible. So the option of walking through the mountains would be very welcome, even if this means that I have to cross lots of snowfields and all mountain cabins are still closed.

Is this possible? What do you experts think is the best route option?

I have put a (very coarse) map of the planned route on http://dbo.swalker.nl

A few years ago I walked to the Nordkapp (http://walkabout.swalker.nl) but this time I would like to see more of Norway and less of the endless Swedish woods. :wink:

Response in Norsk is fine as it seems I can read it very well (and even understand some of it :))

Remi

(Netherlands)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

Hello Rimi,

I saw your walking map, nice day trip!!! :wink: I think you will need some pair of soles.

Maybe I can help you finding a way from Bergen to Trondheim.

I am in that area for many years, taking (dutch :) ) people in the norwegian mountains in summer and wintertime.

Last winter was very good, it was possible to go ski walking in Jotunheimen/Breheimen in june.

Beside snow you have to be prepared to cross very...very wet area's in some mountainarea's in june.

You can mail me: [email protected]

Maybe we can have some phone conversations.

If you go over Lofoten, I know a nice way to go and special campingsites!!

You are planning an amazing walk!!!!!!!!

Best regards,

Jan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Otto Støver

I congratulate you for thorough planning, and I visited your homepage to see what experience you had in walking in these mountains.

You said you were tired of Sweedish woods, but believe me, Finland is not any better. :wink: Only difference is a bit more lakes and rivers. :lol:

I am a bit worried about the time of your visit, as the conditions in the mountains can be very difficult then. The snow is melting, and when it does it is impossible to walk on even with skis. Sweedish snow-mobile drivers consider the beginning of june as the absolute limit to use their machines.

When the worst period of snow melting is over the rivers are enormous and difficult to cross if there is no bridge. And to top the misery: when the midsummer is in the mountains, the moskitoes have their peak period.

I am no good in reading dutch, but I understood you passed Vounatjviken on your last trip. I know the family there, and they have told me "horror"stories of the moskitoes and their assistance to poor wanderers. My own experience is that moskitoes are even worse i Finland.

The huts in Norway are all open. Only the staffed ones have closed for the season. All you need is the universal key to DNT, but I believe you have that, havent you?

Please take contact with the local DNT-offices in the regions you visit to help you with details about huts and conditions in general. Have a nice trip!

Best regards Otto

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I know conditions are difficult in the mountains in June, that's why I am asking here for advice. I think the 'Norge på langs'-walkers take a more eastern, lower route?

I will wait until I arrive in Bergen before I make a final decision. Also I can always change my route if conditions are worse (or better) than expected.

Moskitoes were indeed bad at Vounatjviken and other places but worst at Dividalen. After that the weather turned to wet, cold and windy and I didn't see them again.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi there,

I honestly don't think it'd be possible to fully plan a trip already. I'd make 3 plans that fit your schedule and when may comes you decide which one to go for. Summer comes at different times every year - normally the spring flood comes in april or may. This year it came late june or not at all some places. If there's an early summer then go for your prime choice. If it's very rainy then seek into the driest mountain areas. If it's still very snowy, perhaps go island-trekking in Lofoten or something, or do water/riversports.

We've had wet and dry periods lasting up to a decade the last century and there is no reason to think the pattern isn't going to repeat itself. It's now record wet.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 6 måneder senere...

Well, I'm in Shetland now, walked almost 3000 km the past months. I'll arrive in Bergen as soon as I can find a ship that wants to give me a lift (no ferryservice anymore :!: ). Has spring arrived yet over there?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Has spring arrived yet over there?

Well, if partially snowing means spring, then yes :)

Bergen has rain all year round haha...

Hope you have a plesant walk through here.

You said you were tired of Sweedish woods, but believe me, Finland is not any better. :( Only difference is a bit more lakes and rivers. :?

Agree, only you forgot the extra bears... esp. eastern parts close to Russian boarder. Thread somewhat carefully.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Well, if partially snowing means spring, then yes :)

Hmm, this could be a long winter. Oh well, I'll see when (if) I get there. Anyone with a sailing boat want to pick me up at Lerwick?

Agree, only you forgot the extra bears... esp. eastern parts close to Russian boarder. Thread somewhat carefully.

I'm not afraid of a few sweet fluffy teddybears

(he said bravely from behind a computer in a cosy library, might be different once I'm camping there alone in the woods).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Otto Støver

The best site for all kinds of weather information is this http://www.senorge.no/mapPage.aspx Choose the english flag and you may toss around and find more information than you need. The good thing about this site is the ability to zoom in and toggle between the buttons for snow, rain, aso.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 måneder senere...

I'm in Mo i Rana now, 4200 kms so far. Going to cross Saltfjellet to Bodo, walk across the Lofoten and then head for Finland.

However I feel winter breathing down my neck, so I don't know what I will do. Maybe I should change from walking to skiing. Don't know if I can though, I never tried. :shock: We don't get much snow in the Netherlands and I don't have any experience with nordic winters so on the other hand I may take a break from walking and continue next spring. Any comments one way or the other?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Been cold all summer up here in the north and there won`t be any snow until sept/oct earliest. If there is it usually melt after a while.

Actually the best hiking is from now and until it gets cold and rainy later on sept/oct - and all the moskitos are soon gone too.

It's pretty rainy now here in Moskenes. I'll see what I'll do when winter comes, I'll keep walking until then.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Gjenopprett formatering

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Ved å bruke dette nettstedet godtar du våre Bruksvilkår. Du finner våre Personvernvilkår regler her.